Last year, I started to homeschool my preschool age daughter (Ari). I didn’t mind it because I knew I was saving my family money by keeping her home with me. Well, we both loved it! There is nothing like watching your children grow, both educationally and in Christ. I NEVER in a million years thought that I would be homeschooling my whole tribe! So here it is, the reasons why I am homeschooling……
1. God called me to. This is really the reason that matters most. For a whole year, I ignored the call to homeschool all of my children. I could definitely handle my daughter, but everyone?! No thanks! I thought that God picked the wrong mom for sure. After all, I lacked patience. Then, my youngest son started to fail most of his subjects and had major problems the majority of his fourth-grade year. That’s when I decided to take action! Being an active parent in his public school life was clearly not enough. If only I would have been obedient and listened to God when I was supposed to?!
2. To play catch up or jump ahead. I needed to be able to help both of my sons reach their full potential. My youngest son (Jay) was behind and my oldest son (Zay) struggled in math. They weren’t confident and I desperately wanted to change that. Ari started reading at the age of 3 and I wanted her to keep excelling. She is now 4, in kindergarten, and doing great with her curriculum!
3. To teach them diligently.
“You shall teach them diligently to your children , and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.” -Deuteronomy 6:7
I wanted to incorporate God’s word with the curriculum. When my children went to public school, I struggled with having bible and prayer time with them. Now, we tie it into our school day. I always want them to stand strong and know who they are in Christ.
4. To be responsible for their education. This was the scariest one of all. I had to remember that…
“For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”- 2 Timothy 1:7
I had to pray and let God lead me! Like seriously pray! Like War Room pray! I could hardly help with homework! How in the world was I going to teach 5th and 8th grade? Yet, here I am and God has shown me once again that I can do all things through him. Taking on the responsibility of our children’s education has been one of the best decisions we have ever made. They weren’t getting what they needed in a school setting and now that they can work at a pace that is best for them, they are flourishing.
5. Flexibility. Shaun is a teacher and a musician, so he spends a lot of time away from home. On his days off, we just want to hang out and spend time together as a family. Also, we don’t want to be limited to the classroom. Every day we are venturing out and learning new things.
Keep in mind that every family is different, these are just our main reasons for homeschooling. If you are considering it, that is awesome! Seek God first and he will give you every tool you need to be successful.
What are your reasons for homeschooling?
Until next time…..Lady Ki