Date nights are a crucial part of any marriage. You simply MUST have them! They mean that you are getting back to who you were as a couple before you were married. Check out that blog post here! Sometimes once we have careers, children, finances, and activities, alone time with our spouses get placed on the back burner. When that happens, those are the same things that will connect you. Meaning, those things will be your topic of discussion when you are together. Who wants to only talk about kids and work? That’s all good but what connected you two before you were married? Talk about that!
To make the best out of your date nights (whatever you decide to do), all you really have to do is talk to each other. Date nights are the time to find out what connected you before if you have forgotten. The time to only think about each other, to let loose and have fun with one another. The time to talk to one another about whatever comes to mind (except children, money, and careers lol).
I used to be horrible at this! After our daughter, Arianna, was born, focusing and always talking about the kids was the easy thing to do. I had just become a stay at home mom so I felt that was my only topic of discussion. But what about when the kids are grown and they move out? I slowly learned that it isn’t about them at all (well a little but you know what I mean). If we aren’t good as husband and wife then our children won’t be good. Here are some great things to talk about together:
1. Talk about an awesome song you heard and why you loved it.
2. Talk about a food you really want to try.
3. Tell your spouse one thing that they don’t already know about you.
4. Talk about a game you want to play.
5. Talk about somewhere you want to go.
6. Talk about changes you want to make to yourself (internally or externally).
7. Talk about the changes you want to make in your marriage.
8. Talk about a couple that you admire.
9. Talk about your favorite sports team or comedian you love.
10. Ask each other questions. (Ex. What would you like for me to do more of?)
11. Talk about your passions and dreams.
12. Talk about where you see yourselves as a couple in 5-10 years.
13. Talk about the plans God has for you as a couple.
14. Talk about where you want to travel to this year.
15. Talk about clothes or shoes that you saw or want to get.
Stick to the fun stuff. The same stuff that you used to talk about all night on the phone when it all first started. The stuff that makes you go mmmm. The stuff that comes easily with the two of you.
What do you talk about during your date nights? I would love to hear some fresh ideas in the comments below. Thanks for reading!
Until next time……Lady Ki